This weekend has been crappy except for my run. I kicked my own ass at running today.
I laid around and watched TV most of yesterday only venturing out to the grocery store once. Then today, I woke up at 9am ate my overnight oats and fell back to sleep until 2pm. 2pm!
Finally up, I procrastinated in every which way possible to avoid my scheduled 5 mile run. The upside is that my kitchen is lovely and sparkly clean.
Finally, at 7pm I kicked my own ass out the door and told myself that once more it didn’t matter how slowly I ran, I just needed to get it done.
- First mile lap, garmin beeps and up flashes 11:48. Nice one. Then I think to myself, self, why don’t you see if you can keep your pace as close to the 12min/mile as possible. Try not to repeat last week and see any 13min/mile or 14/min/miles flash up. Ok, challenge set.
- Second mile lap, garmin beeps and up flashes 11:51. Wow, I can’t remember the last time I ran under 12min/miles.
- The third mile was pretty tough. I think because I knew I was hitting the halfway point but I was running it on a 6 mile loop so I didn’t actually get to turn around until over halfway. What a mental game but garmin beeped and up flashed 12:04. Damnit!
- Ok, still on track but need to pick up that pace. Now I’m thinking I can finish this 5 miler in under an hour. The last time I did that was in September 2009! Finish the fourth mile in 11:55.
- Final mile and I can’t believe I tried to sack off this run and call for pizza instead. Yes, before I cleaned my entire kitchen I contemplated a big pizza for dinner and ‘starting again tomorrow’. Now I’m kicking ass! Finish the final mile in 11:54 for a total of 59:31 and average pace of 11:55. Awesome.